Sebastian (I.S.) Buhai, PhD: Brief résumé with links (February 2016)
For a detailed Curriculum Vitae please download the extended PDF version.
Current/ Recent Academic Affiliations
From mid May to mid July 2016 I shall be visiting again NIPE at EEG, Universidade do Minho, in Braga, Portugal. I have enjoyed their hospitality through several previous short term visits in recent years.
Since 11/2014, I am Associated Researcher at the Swedish Institute for Social Research, Stockholm University. I also have current affiliatiations with the research centers CCP (Denmark), CELSI (Slovakia), and NIPE (Portugal).
Between 01/2015 and 04/2015, I was Visiting Professor at the Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance in Rome. From 05/2013 to 10/2014, I was Visiting Faculty at the Department of Economics, Stockholm University. In the interval 05/2010-05/2013, I was Marie Curie Individual International Outgoing Fellow (IOF), under EU Commission’s FP7-People Marie Curie Actions Program, at the Department of Economics, Northwestern University (“outgoing host”; first 2 of 3 years), and the Department of Economics and Business, Aarhus University (“EU host”; 3rd year). I am privileged and honored to have had Dale Mortensen as scientific mentor for that Marie Curie IOF project, and beyond.
Main Research Interests
Microeconometrics, Labor Economics, Empirical Industrial Organization, Real Options, Social Networks, Personnel Economics
- 2008 (November): Ph.D. in Economics, Tinbergen Institute / Erasmus University Rotterdam
- 2003: M.Phil. in Economics, Tinbergen Institute
- 2001: B.Sc. in Sciences (Mathematics/ Theoretical Physics), University College Utrecht / Utrecht University
- 2001: B.A. in Social Sciences (Economics/ Law/ Political Sciences), University College Utrecht/ Utrecht University
* I maintain a more detailed page on my research in Economics, which includes titles and abstracts of other research in progress.
Peer-reviewed journal publications:
- Returns to Tenure or Seniority? (with Miguel Portela, Coen Teulings and Aico van Vuuren), March 2014, Econometrica, 82 (2), pages 705–730, DOI: 10.3982/ECTA8688 . See also the corresponding Web Appendix or the older July 2009 version (includes theory framework)
- Tenure Profiles and Efficient Separation in a Stochastic Productivity Model (with Coen Teulings), May 2014, Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, 32:2, pages 245-258, DOI:10.1080/07350015.2013.866568. See also the corresponding Web Appendix or the accepted, non-gated, November 2013 version
- How Productive is Workplace Health and Safety? (with Elena Cottini and Niels Westergaard-Nielsen), forthcoming at the Scandinavian Journal of Economics (accepted December 2015). See also the corresponding Online Appendix.
Unpublished research available in working paper format:
- A Social Network Analysis of Occupational Segregation (with Marco van der Leij), latest available version Oct 2014; current stage: in revision
- Firm Downsizing, Public Policy, and the Age Structure of Employment Adjustments (with Hans-Martin von Gaudecker), latest available version Oct 2015; current stage: in revision
Published dissertations and scientific reports:
- Buhai, I.S. (2008), “Essays on Labour Markets: Worker-Firm Dynamics, Occupational Segregation and Workplace Conditions” (digital version accessible via the EUR online repository), PhD Thesis November 2008, Tinbergen Institute and Erasmus University Rotterdam, published as book at Thela Thesis -Academic Publishing Services, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Buhai, I.S. (2006), “Wages, Seniority and Separation Rates in a Stochastic Productivity Model: A Comparative Perspective”, M.Phil. Thesis May 2003, Tinbergen Institute and Erasmus University Rotterdam, published as monograph at Editura Lumen (Lumen Publishing House), Iasi, Romania
- Buhai, I.S. (2005), “Quantile Regression: Overview and Selected Applications“, Ad-Astra Journal (Young Romanian Scientists’ Journal), Vol. 4
- Buhai, I.S. (2003), “Note on Panel Data Econometrics”, Netherlands Network of Economics (NAKE) “Nieuws”, 15 (2)
Publications and dissertations in other fields than Economics:
- Science Policy: Buhai, I.S., C.M. Litan and G.C. Silaghi (2015), “Demotivarea performantei: cazul criteriilor nationale de evaluare a cercetarii in Stiintele Economice din Romania” (in Romanian; for English, please see the translated abstract or some presentation slides), chapter in the 2015 Report of the Romanian Think Tank “Grupul de Analiza, Atitudine si Actiune in Politica Stiintei din Romania” (Raport 2015 – TT-G3A), Journal of Science Policy and Scientometrics/ Revista de Politica Stiintei si Scientometrie-Serie Noua, Vol 4(4)/Dec 2015, pp. 250-287
- International Law: Buhai, I.S. (2006), “Customary Law Assessment and Aplications: Capital Punishment for Juvenile Offenders”, chapter in volume “New Approaches in Humanistic Sciences” at Editura Lumen (Lumen Publishing House), Iasi, Romania
- Science Policy: Buhai, I.S. (2004), “Conditia Cercetatorului: Intre Realitatea de Acasa si Idealul din Afara” (in Romanian), Ad-Astra Journal (Young Romanian Scientists’ Journal), Vol 3 (2)
- Theoretical Physics: Buhai, I.S. (2001), “Classical Solutions to Double Oscillator Field Theory”, unpublished B.Sc. Honors Thesis, University College Utrecht, May 2001