Sebastian (I.S.) Buhai, PhD: Brief résumé with links (November 2017)
For a detailed Curriculum Vitae please download the extended PDF version.
Current/ Recent Academic Affiliations
Since 11/2014, I am Associated Researcher at the Swedish Institute for Social Research (SOFI), Stockholm University, Sweden. Moreover, I have long-term affiliations with the research centers CCP at Copenhagen Business School (Denmark), CELSI (Slovakia), and NIPE at University of Minho (Portugal)—the latest of which I have enjoyed visiting frequently in the past years. As of October 2017, I am also a 2017-2018 Advanced Fellow of the STAR-UBB Institute at Babes-Bolyai University (Romania).
Between 01/2015 and 04/2015, I was Visiting Professor at the Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance (EIEF) in Rome. From 05/2013 to 10/2014, I was Visiting Faculty at the Department of Economics, Stockholm University. In the interval 05/2010-05/2013, I was Marie Curie International Outgoing Fellow, under EU Commission’s FP7-People Marie Curie Actions Program, at the Department of Economics, Northwestern University in Chicago (first 2 years) and at the Department of Economics and Business, Aarhus University (3rd year). It was a privilege and honor to have Dale Mortensen as scientific mentor for that Marie Curie project, and beyond.
Main Research Interests
Microeconometrics, Labor Economics, Empirical IO, Applied Microeconomics, Real Options, Social Networks
- 2008 (November): Ph.D. in Economics, Tinbergen Institute / Erasmus University Rotterdam
- 2003: M.Phil. in Economics, Tinbergen Institute
- 2001: B.Sc. in Sciences (Mathematics/ Theoretical Physics), University College Utrecht / Utrecht University
- 2001: B.A. in Social Sciences (Economics/ Law/ Political Sciences), University College Utrecht/ Utrecht University
Published and Other Completed Research
* I maintain a much more detailed page on my Economics research including, inter alia, titles/ synopses/ abstracts/ trivia of my (other) research (in progress).
Peer-reviewed academic journal publications:
- Returns to Tenure or Seniority? (with Miguel Portela, Coen Teulings & Aico van Vuuren), March 2014, Econometrica, 82 (2), pages 705–730, DOI: 10.3982/ECTA8688 . See also the corresponding Web Appendix or the older July 2009 version (includes theory framework)
- Tenure Profiles and Efficient Separation in a Stochastic Productivity Model (with Coen Teulings), May 2014, Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, 32:2, pages 245-258, DOI:10.1080/07350015.2013.866568. See also the corresponding Web Appendix or the accepted, non-gated, November 2013 version
- How Productive is Workplace Health and Safety? (with Elena Cottini & Niels Westergaard-Nielsen), Oct 2017, Scandinavian Journal of Economics, 119(4), pages 1086-1104, DOI:10.1111/sjoe.12184. See also the corresponding Online Appendix or the accepted, non-gated, December 2015 version
Selected research in downloadable working paper format:
- A Social Network Analysis of Occupational Segregation (with Marco van der Leij), current stage: in revision
- Firm Downsizing, Public Policy, and the Age Structure of Employment Adjustments (with Hans-Martin von Gaudecker), current stage: in revision
Published dissertations and research review articles:
- Buhai, I.S. (2008), “Essays on Labour Markets: Worker-Firm Dynamics, Occupational Segregation and Workplace Conditions” (digital version accessible via the EUR online repository), PhD Thesis November 2008, Tinbergen Institute and Erasmus University Rotterdam, published as book at Thela Thesis -Academic Publishing Services, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Buhai, I.S. (2006), “Wages, Seniority and Separation Rates in a Stochastic Productivity Model: A Comparative Perspective”, M.Phil. Thesis May 2003, Tinbergen Institute and Erasmus University Rotterdam, published as monograph at Editura Lumen (Lumen Publishing House), Iasi, Romania
- Buhai, I.S. (2005), “Quantile Regression: Overview and Selected Applications“, Ad-Astra Journal (Young Romanian Scientists’ Journal), Vol. 4
- Buhai, I.S. (2003), “Note on Panel Data Econometrics”, Netherlands Network of Economics (NAKE)’s “Nieuws”, 15 (2)
Publications, working papers and dissertations in other fields than Economics:
- Scientometrics/ Science Policy: Buhai, I.S., G.C. Silaghi, F.O. Bilbiie, A.G. Halunga, C.M. Litan, V. Midrigan, C. Pop-Eleches, Z. Sandor, M.C. Voia (2016), “The Rise for Academic Integrity in Romanian (Domestic) Economic Sciences“, scientific report/ manifesto concerning the state of the Economics research inside Romania
- Science Policy: Buhai, I.S., C.M. Litan and G.C. Silaghi (2015), “Demotivarea performantei: cazul criteriilor nationale de evaluare a cercetarii in Stiintele Economice din Romania” (translated English title: “Disincentivizing the performance: the case of the Romanian national criteria for evaluating research in Economic Sciences”; you can download an abstract in English or some presentation slides in English), chapter in the 2015 Report of the Romanian Think Tank “Grupul de Analiza, Atitudine si Actiune in Politica Stiintei din Romania” (Raport 2015 – TT-G3A), Journal of Science Policy and Scientometrics/ Revista de Politica Stiintei si Scientometrie-Serie Noua, Vol 4(4)/Dec 2015, pp. 250-287
- International Law: Buhai, I.S. (2006), “Customary Law Assessment and Aplications: Capital Punishment for Juvenile Offenders”, chapter in volume “New Approaches in Humanistic Sciences” at Editura Lumen (Lumen Publishing House), Iasi, Romania
- Science Policy: Buhai, I.S. (2004), “Conditia Cercetatorului: Intre Realitatea de Acasa si Idealul din Afara” (in Romanian), Ad-Astra Journal (Young Romanian Scientists’ Journal), Vol 3 (2)
- Theoretical Physics: Buhai, I.S. (2001), “Classical Solutions to Double Oscillator Field Theory”, unpublished B.Sc. Honors Thesis, University College Utrecht, May 2001